Sunday 20 April 2014

On missing out a part of a video you're recording...

So, I took too many photos during the day at #QEDCon and filled up my SD card on the camera! Luckily for you kids, I had an audio recorder running at the same time so here's a transcript of the missing section of video:

So I want to shift gears here for just a minute because I think it’s important to make this point. The vast majority of people who have heard my family’s message of condemnation and divine hatred respond with some form of, well, that’s not my God. It’s seen as a lot more personal in the United States. They say something like, my God is a loving God and a caring God who’s not capable of hate. 

And, well, of course each of us is entitled to believe what we want there are often times facts that conflict with those beliefs and one of the facts that cannot be disputed is that the theology that my father has fashioned is well grounded in the words of the Bible. This book that’s generally interpreted today as the words of a benevolent God, contain all of the passages necessary to come to the conclusions they had come to. In fact this version, their version of Christianity was the mainstream version only two hundred years ago. 

Proof of that can be found in the sermon that was referenced often by preachers of that day, the sermon by American theologian Jonathan Edwards entitled ‘Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God’. The essence of that sermon can be summed up in this sentence from it ‘There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God.’
So this isn’t some kooky idea that they’d conjured up, they basically got stuck in the past. So when I hear people say that their God is nothing like the God of the Westboro Baptist Church is simply disagree.

Now, back to the video (in the right place)

Nate Phelps - Leaving Hate Behind (@ 29m32s)

No comments:

Post a Comment